Argentina football team is one of the great in the world. Argentina has won several titles in football including two times FIFA world cup, and 15 times Copa América, along with gold medals in the 2004 and 2008 Olympics. So let’s uncover the Argentina FIFA world cup history to better know the team’s perspective.
Here in this article, we will cover some vital chapters from the Argentina FIFA world cup history like Argentina world cup wins captain, Argentina world cup wins years, Argentina biggest loss in world cup, Argentina world cup schedule, Argentina biggest loss in world cup, Argentina FIFA World Cup 2022 Squad, Argentina FIFA Ranking, etc. So stay tuned and read the complete article.
Argentina FIFA World Cup History
So the Argentina FIFA World Cup history begins in the year 1930 with the inaugural FIFA world cup won by the hosting country Uruguay. Argentina played against Uruguay in the finals and lost by a 4–2 score. This match is one of the most remembered matches in the history of Argentina football because they were so close to getting the first FIFA world trophy. Still, unfortunately, Uruguay did not let them do so.
In 1934, 1950, and 1954 world cups Argentina did not participate for some reasons, but again came back in the year 1958. Again in 1970, they could not qualify for the FIFA world cup. Remember Argentina did not win the FIFA world cup trophy yet.
The dice turned when Argentina hosted the FIFA world cup tournaments in the year 1978 and won the FIFA world cup title for the first time on home soil with a score of 3–1. Argentina qualified for this tournament as they were the host and played against the Netherlands in the finals.
After one win, they were looking for the next, in the year 1986, Argentina brought another FIFA world cup trophy to the home. This year’s world cup tournaments were hosted by Mexico. Argentina played against Germany in the fails and won by a 3–2 score.
In the total interesting history of the FIFA World Cup, Argentina has played a total of 81 FIFA World Cup games through 17 tournaments facing 36 rivals. Along with being two times winner of the football world cup, Argentina is three times runner-up as well. And here is the good news is that Argentina has qualified for the Qatar FIFA World Cup 2022.
Argentina Biggest Loss In World Cup
If we talk about Argentina biggest loss in the world cup then we see the matches of the years 1930, 1990, and 2014, when Argentina lost the finals and just became the runner-up. In 1930 Argentina lost to Uruguay, in 1990 Argentina lost to Italy, and in 2014 Argentina lost to Brazil.
Do You Know: Brazil wins the most FIFA World Cups. Read Here About the Interesting Brazil FIFA World Cup History.
Argentina World Cup Wins Captain
Argentina world cup wins captain are as follows –
- In 1978 Argentina’s football team captain was – Daniel Passarella
- In 1978 Argentina’s football team captain was – Diego Maradona
Argentina World Cup Schedule
If you want to know the Argentina World Cup Schedule then you can know the complete schedule just by clicking here – FIFA World Cup Complete Schedule.
List Of FIFA World Cup Records
Here we are sharing the list of FIFA world cup records Argentina ever made:
- Argentina is the country that played the most semi-finals and never lost.
- The most played finales in world cup history are between Argentina and Germany.
- Argentina is one of the top-scoring teams in three years – 1930, 1978, and 1986.
Argentina FIFA Ranking
Argentina FIFA ranking is 3, number 1 and 2 positions are secured by Brazil and Belgium respectively. If we talk about Argentina FIFA’s average ranking is 6, the highest ranking is 1 and the lowest ranking is 24. This tells us everything about the National Football Team of Argentina.
Do You Know: What happened with the Italy football team on 4th May 1949? Read Here
Argentina FIFA World Cup 2022 Squad
Argentina will be down with a 28-man squad under coach Lionel Scaloni. So here we are sharing the list of Argentina FIFA World Cup 2022 Squad –
- GK: Emi Martinez (Aston Villa)
- GK: Franco Armani (River Plate)
- GK: Agustin Marchesin (Celta Vigo)
- GK: Geronimo Rulli (Villarreal)
- GK: Juan Musso (Atalanta)
- GK: Agustin Rossi (Boca Juniors)
- DF: Nicolas Otamendi (Benfica)
- DF: Marcos Acuna (Sevilla)
- DF: Nicolas Tagliafico (Lyon)
- DF: German Pezzella (Real Betis)
- DF: Nahuel Molina (Atletico Madrid)
- DF: Gonzalo Montiel (Sevilla)
- DF: Juan Foyth (Villarreal)
- DF: Cristian Romero (Tottenham)
- DF: Lucas Martinez Quarta (Fiorentina)
- DF: Lisandro Martinez (Manchester United)
- DF: Facundo Medina (Lens)
- DF: Marcos Senesi (Bournemouth)
- DF: Nehuen Perez (Udinese)
- MF: Angel Di Maria (Juventus)
- MF: Leandro Paredes (Juventus)
- MF: Rodrigo De Paul (Atletico Madrid)
- MF: Giovani Lo Celso (Villarreal)
- MF: Guido Rodriguez (Real Betis)
- MF: Nicolas Gonzalez (Fiorentina)
- MF: Exequiel Palacios (Bayer Leverkusen)
- MF: Roberto Pereyra (Udinese)
- MF: Alejandro Gomez (Sevilla)
- MF: Nicolas Dominguez (Bologna)
- MF: Maximiliano Meza (Monterrey)
- MF: Lucas Ocampos (Ajax)
- MF: Alexis Mac Allister (Brighton)
- MF: Enzo Fernandez (Benfica)
- MF: Emi Buendia (Aston Villa)
- MF: Thiago Almada (Atlanta United)
- MF: Matias Soule (Juventus)
- MF: Nicolas Paz (Real Madrid Castilla)
- MF: Luka Romero (Lazio)
- MF: Valentin Carboni (Inter Milan)
- FW: Lionel Messi (PSG)
- FW: Lautaro Martinez (Inter Milan)
- FW: Paulo Dybala (Roma)
- FW: Angel Correa (Atletico Madrid)
- FW: Joaquin Correa (Inter Milan)
- FW: Julian Alvarez (Manchester City)
- FW: Lucas Alario (Eintracht Frankfurt)
- FW: Giovanni Simeone (Napoli)
- FW: Alejandro Garnacho (Manchester United)
Do You Know: Argentina fight highest times against Germany in Finals. Read here the Complete Germany FIFA World Cup History.
Argentina FIFA World Cup history is very interesting and learning as well. In this write-up, we have covered the same topic including Argentina world cup wins captain, Argentina world cup wins years, Argentina biggest loss in world cup, Argentina world cup schedule, Argentina football history, Argentina FIFA world cup 2022 Squad, a list of FIFA world cup records, Argentina FIFA ranking. Hope the content was useful and learned enough for you. Do not forget to share this article with your Argentina supportive friend.
How many trophies Argentina have won?
There are numerous trophies Argentina has won till now but if we specifically talk about the FIFA world cup then Argentina has picked up the World Cup trophy two times till now.
Has Messi won a World Cup with Argentina?
There is no doubt in it that Lionel Messi is one of the greatest football players ever but Messi did not get the pleasure to win a World Cup trophy yet.
Who wins the most FIFA World Cups?
Brazil is the country that won the most FIFA world cups, and the number is 5.
How many times Messi’s team won FIFA World Cup?
Messi’s team won FIFA World Cup a total of two times in the years 1978 and 1986 but Lionel Messi was not part of the football team of Argentina at that time.
When did Argentina win the World Cup?
Argentina won FIFA World Cup a total of two times in the years 1978 and 1986.